Monday, January 12, 2009

Update on Jonathan and his RSV



So...we went to the pediatrician for follow up today on Jonathan. She said that while the after-hours pediatrician place did nothing wrong in what they put him on for breathing treatments, she would have been more aggressive since he is so little and we need to limit how much scar tissue he can develop on his lungs.

So, she put him on a more aggressive treatment to give him every six hours via his little nebulizer thingy. She also put him on liquid steroids that he has to take twice a day for the next five days. She said that within a few days he should be feeling REALLY good.

The negative is that she said that since he got RSV when he was so little, for the next 2 years or so each time he gets a cold he will have the tendency to get this all over again unless we catch it early and hit it strong. So we'll have to be very vigilent in keeping him away from germs as much as possible. I'm pretty sure that means he won't be able to go into the church nursery until he is like 3 or so. :)

The other big shocker was the bill for the new improved medications. I was pleasantly surprised when his first round of breathing treatments only cost us $15.00. So, you can imagine my heart failure when the girl behind the pharmacy counter told me this stuff and the steroids combined were going to be $193.00. WHAT? Is it made of gold? But...I know that God is in control and that He knew this was coming, so He must have a plan. If it makes the little guy better, it is necessary.

So, that is the update. On a side note, in the midst of his sickness I've slowly been developing my own sickness. First it was a sore throat, then today it started to turn into head congestion and has continued into my left sinus. Ouch. I'm looking forward to both of us feeling better. Please keep praying for Jonathan and I.

2 comments:

Julie said...

He looks outright misserable.

Rebekah Downs said...

Oh, poor thing! He does look so cute holding the breathing thing, though. =) I hope he continues to get better.